High School Communications Contest
The NFPW High School Communications Contest inspires students to excel in their quest for excellence. The only nationwide communications competition for high school students, the contest is endorsed by the National Association of Secondary School Principals. Dow Jones announces first-place winners and promotes the competition in its publication distributed to journalism advisers across the nation, giving students and their teachers/advisers local and nationwide recognition.
2012 High School Communications Contest national winners were honored at NFPW's annual conference in Scottsdale, Arizona.
2011 - 83 national winners were honored at the NFPW Communications Conference in Council Bluffs, Iowa.
Students compete in 18 categories: Editorial, Opinion, News Story, Feature Story, Sports Story, Environment, Column, Review, Feature Photo, Sports Photo, Cartooning, Graphics/Photo Illustration, Single-Page Layout, Double-Truck Layout, Video News Story, Video Feature Story, Video Sports Story and Yearbook.
As with the NFPW Communications Contest, entrants compete at the affiliate or at-large level, with first-place winners moving on to compete at the national level.
Each winner will receive a certificate, with first-place winners also receiving $100 cash. Honors are presented during the High School Communications Contest Awards Luncheon at the annual conference. Some state affiliates provide financial assistance to students who attend the conference to receive their awards.
- Direct all questions to
- 2013 postmark deadlines: to be announced.
- 2013 contest divisions, categories, guidelines, and forms will be reviewed at the 2012 conference and will be updated prior to December 31, 2012.
First-place in the affiliate and at-large contests advance to the national competition.
- Direct all national High School Communications Contest questions to Karen Rowley, c/o PAR, 4664 Jamestown Ave., Suite 300, Baton Rouge, La. 70808, email@example.com, or call 225-892-0684.
- Deadlines for the 2013 State High School Communications Contest:
- State Affiliate entries: postmark by April 8, 2013
- At-Large entries: postmark by March 8, 2013
- 2013 High School Communications Contest Categories (.doc, pdf)
- 2013 High School Communications Contest Guidelines (.doc, pdf)
- 2013 High School Communications Contest Entry Form (.doc, pdf)
- 2012 State High School Communications Contest directors list (.doc, .pdf)
- High School Communications Contest judging forms
Students living in a state with an NFPW affiliate participate through their state's high school competition. Students should contact their state high school competition director early in the school year for local details. Most state deadlines are in January and February to allow time for judging and processing for the national contest. First-place state winners advance to national competition.
Entry fees for the first-place state winners sent to the national competition are $10 per entry. A check for the entire amount of entry fees must accompany the entries.
Only those living in a state where there is no NFPW affiliate or where the affiliate does not conduct a contest may compete on an at-large basis. These states have no NFPW affiliate: Florida, Georgia, Hawaii, Maine, Maryland, Massachusetts, Michigan, Minnesota, Mississippi, Montana, New Hampshire, New York, Rhode Island, Utah, Vermont and West Virginia. In addition, students attending Department of Defense Schools overseas are eligible to enter the At-Large Contest.
- 2013 At-Large Contest postmark deadline: March 8, 2013
- 2013 At-Large Entry fees: $10 per entry — FEE MUST ACCOMPANY EACH ENTRY
- Direct At-Large Contest questions to Deborah Elkins, c/o Virginia Lawyers Media, 707 E. Main St., Suite 1750, Richmond, Va. 23219, firstname.lastname@example.org, or call 804-783-0770, ext. 14021